Preparing Your Rwanda Hostel & Backpacking Trip
Thinking of booking your hostel and backpacking trip to Rwanda? We’re happy to welcome you to any one of our hostels in Kigali, Gisenyi and Akagera but we want you to be fully prepared for your trip. By ensuring that your health and comfort needs are covered, you’ll be much more likely to have the time and energy you’ll need while touring our magical countryside.
REMEMBER TO BRING THESE IMPORTANT ITEMS
- 2-pin travel adaptors for any electrical appliances you are intending to bring
- Mosquito Repellent
- Malaria tablets
- Yellow fever certificate
- Sun cream
- Sun hat
- Immunizations record
OPTIONAL BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TRAVEL ITEMS
- – Travel Guide Book (you can also get them around Rwanda). We recommend Bradt Guide Books which are focused on Rwanda and regularly updated.
- – Photo and Video Camera to take some footage during the tours.
- – Flight socks to help prevent deep vein thrombosis
CURRENCY OPTIONS AND EXCHANGES
- Visa, Plus, MasterCard, Cirrus, Maestro, union pay, Diners Club card to withdraw money from an international account.
- There are several ATMs around the city where cash can be withdrawn inexpensively using ATM card. The local currency is Rwandan Francs (RwF). Approximately $1 = 730 RwF, 1 Euro = 830 RwF and £1 = 1,130 RwF.
- All major world currencies are easily exchanged here in cash. So if you are bringing cash, there is no need to exchange to US$ first as you will be able to exchange directly to RwF.